06 Feb 2014
Here you will find a round-up of recent news and events related to mechanisms being used and developed all over the world.
Guidelines and Regulations
- A reaction to David Cameron’s ‘rip up’ of green regulations says the approach misrepresents the wishes of businesses.
- Kenyan agency unveils guidelines for foreign investors in a bid to help them conform to environmental protection laws and regulations.
- The UK has defeated European Union attempts to set legally binding environmental regulations for the shale gas industry.
Economic Incentives: rewards and markets
- Canadian ports first to reward green vessels with financial incentives based on their Greenhouse Gas Emissions (GHG) rating.
- Finding New Wealth for Environmental Gain: Looking toward investment goals that include environmental gains.
- Covering New Ground: State of the Forest Carbon Markets 2013 Report - a report that has tracked 513 forest and land-use carbon projects and found that their market value reaches $216 million in 2012 - 8% less than in 2011.
- Carbon Market Value to Gain 15% in 2014 on EU Surplus Fix.
- Looking at the California-Quebec and EU carbon markets show glimmers of recovery in 2014.
- Korean Exchange has won contract to operate the world’s second largest emissions trading scheme, starting 2014.
Cooperation: working together for sustainability
- Burberry to check supply chain toxins and get rid of them by 2020 after pressure from the Greenpeace Detox Campaign.
- Despite there being no legalised standards to abide by, Intel’s $1billion plant installs environmental and sustainability measures.
- “Good spirited” - Bacardi has launched an environmental campaign that spans over 150 markets.
- A response to the 2014 state of business report from GreenBiz asks, “what the heck is going on?”
- Egyptian Ministry of State for Environmental Affairs Signs Agreement with Italy to Transform El Gouna into a Carbon-neutral City.
Information: certifying, fracking and transparency
- Countries accept latest revision of ISO 14001 as a draft international standard.
- Fracking Certification Center open for business.
- 1,000+ mining companies endorse mandatory disclosures of payments to governments.