27 Jun 2014
- Ahead of the UN Paris Summit, The Consumer Goods Forum issued a statement in which over 400 companies repeated their pledges to secure their own supply chains against deforestation, while also urging governments to make UN REDD+ a priority.
- Food and drink manufacturing businesses can identify critical ingredients using a new guide, Sustainable Sourcing – five steps towards managing supply chains.
- P&G sets a new sustainability goal: No deforestation in its palm supply chain by 2020.
- Certified products need to grow in scale. First, they need create better products and services. Then they need to build or enable markets for their products or service. And after that, they need to accelerate the market.
- The right kind of consumer demand can make a huge impact, especially in sustainable fishing. “When a major buyer transmits a message through its supply chain, that message is heard,” said Geoff Bolan, Commercial Director of the Americas for the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC).
Fish for sale in a Sri Lankan market. Credit: Dhammika Heenpella (Flickr)
- The Green Investment Bank announced plans to raise a further £1 billion as it unveiled its first set of annual accounts that showed the state-backed bank was not yet profitable.
- Small British businesses looking to cut the cost of doing business can now access £2 million of additional energy efficiency finance following a new deal between the Green Investment Bank and ReEnergise - a renewable energy finance company.
- According to a new study, new investment in vehicles for large-scale wind and solar energy is necessary and more efficient financial models could cut costs by 20 per cent.
- There are several ways to make Indian development more sustainable, including financial innovation: government and development banks must provide dedicated resources and focus more on capital than debt, argued Mustapha Kleiche, Senior Investment Officer, at a conference earlier this year.
- In a bid to bring people out poverty in India, the UBS Optimus Foundation, Children's Investment Fund Foundation, Educate Girls and Intaglio announced the launch of a new Development Impact Bond to improve education.
- According to a new report, decoupling between development and environmental degradation is possible if barriers are removed and new regulatory frameworks are created.
- A study from the World Bank examines the benefits of climate policies, proving to policy makers that climate-smart developments investments brings potential. For example, the Bank found that the annual benefits included GDP growth of between $1.8 trillion and $2.6 trillion.